Today, I, along with my family, attended a seminar organized for students who are aspiring to choose a path in life after schooling. The seminar was organized by and conducted at Knowledge Institute of Technology, Salem.
I feel responsible to share, a few thoughts after listening to Mr. Sujith Kumar’s speech. This post is to help students and parents who are trying to figure out the best course and the college.
Sujith needs no introduction, but if you haven’t heard about him and his work, then read this article on The Better India.
Sujith’s speech was focussed on what parents and students must do after schooling. I wanted to share the core of his speech because his words should reach and help the other folks out there.
Here are couple of thoughts to parents and students from Sujith.
Few Thoughts To Parents
- Listen to your children even if they share things that doesn’t makes sense. The key here is to communicate, listen and understand their interest in life.
- When you and your child doesn’t really know about the courses to pursue after schooling, get advice from a Career Counsellor.
- Don’t let the Counsellor make a choice for your child. Instead, get to know the options and let you and your child choose the best.
- Understand that your child has his own weaknesses and strengths as well. Appreciate his/her strengths, motivate them, talk to them and embrace their failures.
- Never, ever, compare your child with other children. Everyone is unique. What works your friends/colleagues children may not work for your children and understand this it is the vice versa.
- Don’t force your dreams on your children. Fulfilling your dreams through your children is a crime. Instead, share your dreams, and let your Children pursue it, if they’re into it.
Few Thoughts To Students
- 99% of the students do not have any idea on what they want to pursue. So, Students must listen to their parents.
- Talk to your parents frequently as you do with your friends.
- Visit the colleges, that you have in mind, with your parents, and talk to the students who are studying in the college. No one else can tell you better about the college.
- Choose a college that invest in Training faculties and studies rather than colleges that invest in Infrastructure development.
- Students, understand, that if you have three meals a day and a roof to sleep, you’re fortunate that many others out there. It is a luxury that many students of your age lack today.
- We’re now in the fourth industrial revolution and we expect job losses due to automation and the technology advancement. So it is not only important to learn things by understanding them, but also, invest time online beyond your college books to acquire deep and additional knowledge on your subjects and produce things, to stand out.